Tuesday 21 May 2013

My very first craft swap -Part 1

As you probably all know I'm quite obsessed with Instagram I especially like to follow other people who enjoy crafts, quite often they will give me inspiration for new crafts or patterns to try. 
They are a very friendly bunch who share patterns and ideas, recipes and pass on books which have been read, there is a great community feel. At Easter I noticed that a few of the people I followed were involved in a craft swap and I was intrigued to find out more, it is set up by one person who coordinates it all, there is a theme and you must sign up to it agreeing to send a parcel of goodies based on the theme, some of which must be handmade by yourself, a card should be sent with the parcels and everything prettily wrapped, the parcels are then opened on the reveal day and everyone shares the photos of their goodies on Instagram. It works in a sort of circle where one person sends to you and you send to another person- its a huge amount of coordination needed these women who organise it deserve a medal! There is a great atmosphere leading up to it as everyone posts pictures of the swaps they send,it's such a lovely way of getting to know new people, it's great and I was eager to be part of it. 
I have really jumped in at the deep end signing up to two swaps, one by @kellysmellysharpe were the theme is hearts and birds and one by @hunnypothouse which is colour me pretty, where I had to state 3 colours that were my favourites and things I liked eg, birds flowers etc to help with ideas to make/buy. I chose duck egg blue, pastel pink and pastel green, and said i liked hearts, birds, flowers, Cath Kidston style. Likewise my swap recipient @donna_marie74 favourite colours were light pink,light yellow and light green and she liked flowers ( another thing to remember is not to tell you swap recipient that you have them so its a surprise - I can say Donna's name because she got my parcel this morning! ) this swap reveal day is this Friday, although I have not received my parcel yet I know that there are lots currently in the post so hopefully I'll get mine soon. The birds and hearts swap reveal day is 1st June so there is a bit longer to wait for that one. We have had about 3 weeks to make things and for me who always has good intentions to do crafts but never get around to it, it has really given me the incentive to do them the only problem is its been absolute torture not being able to post pictures yet of the pretties I have made! The worry I have is if the things I've made and bought are good enough and liked, having not done it before I have nothing to base it on, but I think they are pretty and I would like to receive them so hopefully they will too! *fingers tightly crossed!* 

Look out for part 2 where I open my swap package to see what goodies i receive and at last get to show what I have made for my swap recipient...ohhhh excited!!!!
Thanks for reading, 
Abigail xxx

                  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Abigail, I just found your blog and I'm enjoying it. The craft swap sounds like a lot of fun, I would love to do one sometime. I did a swap on Ravelry and that was really great. I'm a new follower and looking forward to reading more of your blog. :)

    Jennifer
    http://thistlebearhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, thanks for your comment and sorry for the delay in replying, the craft swaps were so good and I'm going to blog about it now, if you want to do one there are lots happening on Instagram, are you on Instagram if you are feel free to follow me @abbiefh and I'll let you know of any swaps you could join as they come up. Thanks for reading and following!
      Abigail x

      Delete